To make your t-shirt quilt, start with a Custom Set quilt.
- Click Design a quilt from scratch
- Click Custom Set. You may have to click the double arrows to see the option for Custom Set.
- Click the LAYOUT tab.
- Change the Width and Height.
In this example I am using 30 x 30. You can always change your size later if you want. However, if you change the size after placing blocks or photos make sure to check Maintain the existing block sizes when resizing the layout.
- Click Add to Project Sketchbook . If you haven’t named your project yet, EQ8 will prompt you to do so. (To be saved, your item needs to be in the Sketchbook AND your project needs to be named. Here is more information.)
- Click the DESIGN tab
- Click Photo Tools
- Click Open Library
- Click Import > from Image files
Or, if you don’t have images available to use right now, you can choose some from the EQ Photo Library. (Skip to Step 14)
- Navigate to your files and select the files.
- Click Open.
- Click Select All Photos
- Click Add to Sketchbook
- Click Close
- Crop your images, if you would like. You can also resize them if needed. Make sure they are the actual size you will (or have) cut your t-shirts.
- Click the Set Photo tool and drag your image onto the quilt. It will set the same size as your image. So, if your t-shirt image is 6 x 4.25 it will automatically place as 6 x 4.25.
- Click the Adjust tool and click on a block.
- Be sure to check the Grid Snap Increments. Set it to your preference, for example, if you know all your t-shirts will be cut to whole inch sizes, set it to 1 inch.
- Use the Adjust tool to move the blocks to start building your layout. Notice that when the block is selected with the Adjust tool the size of the block shows. The x-axis and y-axis show the location of the block.
Now we’ll start to add the “spacer blocks” so that everything fits together.
- Click Block Tools
- Click Set Block
- Scroll to the end of the blocks.
- Right-click in the white space after the blocks and choose Add Plain Block.
- Click the Plain Block and drag a few onto the quilt.
- Use the Adjust tool to place and resize the plain blocks.
- Continue placing images and plain blocks until your layout is complete.
- Use the Set Block tool to set blocks within the plain blocks, if you’d like.
- Click Fabric Tools and recolor as you wish.
If you want to post images of your blocks, here is how to export the images.To post your image click to comment on this post. Fill in your info and then click Browse.
Go to: Documents\My EQ8\Images
I can’t wait to see what you’ve done! I hope you enjoyed the lesson!
If you have questions about the lesson feel free to post them below.
If you have questions about something else EQ related, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have suggestions for new Design & Discover lessons feel free to comment below or email Heidi@electricquilt.com