This forum is read-only. If you need help with your EQ product, please visit our support site or contact us.

Apple Core

Having trouble drawing a block, motif, or stencil? Post all your block designing questions here.

Apple Core

Postby sewkaren » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:04 am

Is there an easy way to draw a one-patch Apple Core in EQ6?
Thanks, Karen
sewkaren

Re: Apple Core

Postby jquilt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Hi Karen,
I found a block called Charm block or Friendship Quilt in Block Base 2. Is this the Apple Core Design you are looking for? If you want the shape as a 'one-patch', you could try tracing one of the patches from this block in Patch Draw. I'm not sure whether you would consider this 'easy'. Quilter's Cache also has the pattern. Again you would need to trace it in Patch Draw as a motif, then set it on layer 2. Good Luck. Jane
jquilt

Postby sewkaren » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks, Jane. I don't have Block Base, nor had I thought of doing this as a motif on Layer 2. Thanks for that tip, will give it a try!
Karen
sewkaren

Postby penny » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:42 pm

Here's a long post I saved from Barb Vlack, about the Apple Core block.

Barb Vlack wrote:
I have a couple of different answers.

If you want to use the Apple Core shape block, which does not have square outlines, you need to draw it in PatchDraw and delete the block outline. Then you have a motif block to set in Custom Set. Check your manual (I don't know if you're using EQ5 or EQ6) for setting blocks in Custom Set/Layer 2/Layer 3. You will set these blocks on the quilt worktable as you would put together a jigsaw puzzle.

Secondly, if you want to draw the Apple Core as an EasyDraw (pieced block), Alecia Gentry offered these drawing instructions here last March. Aren't you impressed I could find them? To explain, I drew the block from Alecia's instructions and saved it to my block library (in EQ5), which is linked to the block library in EQ6. On the Notecard for the block, I had noted that Alecia gave instructions on the Info-EQ mail list on March 22, 2006. When I did a search on the Apple Core block just now, I had all that info handy and went into the Info-EQ archive from the PlanetPatchwork site. Voila.

Here is what Alecia wrote for EQ5 users (the translation to EQ6 should be easy):

Open up a New Block, Easydraw. Go to the drawing board setup and set the snap to grid points H 8 and V 8, set your block size to 6 x 6. Have your graph paper set at 8 x 8.

Now on you work surface you have your rulers on the top and left to use as guides. With your arch tool and starting from the top left intersection 1-1/2" across x 1-1/2" down draw an arch from there to the intersection that is 4-1/2" across and 1-1/2" down. use your beizer tool to make the top of the arch lay along the grid line 3/4" down from the top and centered on the 3" line.

Click on the select tools little square to get the cloning options. Select the line you just drew and clone it. Now flip it upside down and align the new line at the bottom directly beneath the first one you drew, the top (or now bottom) of the curve should line up on the 5-1/4" grid line still centered on the 3" grid line. the ends of the curve should line up on the gridlines intersections of 1-1/2" x 4-1/2" and the other end at 4-1/2" x 4-1/2".

Clone another curve and flip it sideways. line the ends up with the ends
(nodes) of the first and second curves, with the arch of the curve going toward the center of the block. clone again and repeat. If all went well you now have an apple core. So that you can see what they will look like when you design a quilt you will also need to make half curves to complete the block.

Click the little square on the beizer tool and a window will pop up. Using the beizer tool select one of your curves, now choose half in the little window. Grab the select tool again (click the little square) and select one of the halves of the curve and clone it. Depending on which one you halved and cloned will depend where you move it to. It will go to the opposite
(diagonal) side of the block you got it from, and you will align one end to the nodes on the apple core and the other along the blocks edge.

You should have one whole applecore in the center. half an apple core on the top and bottom that looks like it is split in the long direction. half an apple core on the each of the two sides that look like they were split in half in the narrow area. and four quarter applecores in the four corners.
Color and Save to Sketchbook. Now you can set it in a standard horizontal setting. You just have to remember to carry the color through from one block to the next on a few.

When you need to print a template just go to printing templates and select size from quilt check or uncheck seam allowance, hit preview and delete all the half and quarter blocks until only the whole one remains. (End of Alecia's
post.)
penny
EQ Technical Support

Postby sewkaren » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Penny, this is awesome!! Thanks so much, will try out both methods at first opportunity. :D
Karen
sewkaren

Postby sewkaren » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi, Penny: I printed off your very clear directions for drawing the Apple Core block and proceeded to try it out in EQ6. After I followed all the steps I went to save it but...the block disappeared. So I did it again and this time tried to colour first and then save. Same thing. 8 tries later, I decided to open EQ5 and try it there. I had successful results on my first attempt and am very pleased with the block. However, I am also very puzzled as to why this didn't work for me in EQ6. Any ideas where I went wrong?
Karen
sewkaren

Postby penny » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi Karen,

I am guessing that your lines were not snapped correctly in EQ6, but were in EQ5. Please look at the EasyDraw worktable. Make sure you have the Precision Bar showing in EQ6 (VIEW > Precision bar) and tell me the following:

Snap number Hor and Ver
Block size

And are the following each on or off
Snap to Grid
Snap to Node
Snap to Line

Then go into EQ5 and do the same thing (except there is no Precision bar, so you'll need to look at the setting in BLOCK > Drawing Board Setup.
penny
EQ Technical Support

Postby sewkaren » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:07 am

Hi, Penny: I checked all the items you mentioned in EQ6 and discovered the problem: the snap to grid was off. So that has been remedied, and the block successfully drawn, saved and printed...(and 6 sample blocks cut and sewn!) Again, many thanks. This is the first time I've used the Forum and I am very impressed with the help I have recieved.
Karen
sewkaren

Postby joycet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:03 am

I successfully drew an applecore shape in Patch Draw using a slightly different method. No problem. I want to print as many templates as possible on one 8.5 x 11 sheet. Is there a way to print multiple copies of a template on one sheet? I can print multiple copies of the block if I choose to print foundations, but there is no way to get rid of the background square if I do that.
joycet

Postby BarbVlack » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:35 am

There is a trick involved here.

You drew the Apple Core block in PatchDraw. That is a good first step. (Personally, I took the Apple Core block I drew in EasyDraw, copied and pasted that drawing into the EasyDraw layer of an EasyDraw+PatchDraw block and then traced it on the PatchDraw layer. I could have started with an EasyDraw+PatchDraw drawing board, but I already had the Apple Core drawn in EasyDraw and saved to My Library, so I used that.)

Select the entire PatchDraw layer drawing with CTRL+A. Copy.

BLOCK>New Block> PatchDraw Motif. Paste. Center.

Right click. Resize as large as you can, but keep the motif within the outlines of the block. Add to Sketchbook.

With the block on the worktable, go to Print>Block. Under Block Size, check "Custom block size" and type in the size you desire. For Print Style, check "Outline drawing" or "As applique pattern." Under the Options tab, check "Print as many as fit." Preview.

I hope this works for you. Save the motif block to My Library for future use in other projects.

Barb
Print.
BarbVlack
EQ Author and Teacher

Next

Return to Block Design