For the last year, my husband, his father, his grandfather, and his cousin and I have been working off and on updating the master bath at our house. Weâ€™re not quite done, but weâ€™re finally at a point where we can use the shower and sinks. Yippee!
When it came time to design the shower, we looked into buying pre-made mosaic floors, but those cost upwards of $500 for a 48â€łx48â€ł design. Our floor was more like 45â€ł×47.5â€ł, so we were concerned about how that would impact any design we purchased.
EQ to the rescue!
There were only a few things I needed to know in order to be able to mock it up in Electric Quilt 7:
1. I measured the floor.
2. Our tiles came in two colors (black & pepper gray) and the granite was 12â€ł square.
3. The smallest we were willing to cut was 3â€łx3â€ł.
4. Our drain was slightly off-center, so I measured that distance from the back and left walls.
5. I asked how wide we were going to make the grout lines.
I knew that if I drew it in EasyDraw or PatchDraw, it wouldnâ€™t be as fast as a horizontal quilt. So hereâ€™s my trick:
1.Â Â Â Â Â I opened EQ7.
2.Â Â Â Â Â I clicked QUILT > New Quilt > Horizontal Quilt.
3.Â Â Â Â Â On the Layout tab, I set the block size to 3 x 3.
4.Â Â Â Â Â I set the sashing to 0.125 x 0.125 (1/8 of an inch). [*You can do this if you go to QUILT > Quilt Worktable Options and change the Snap Settings > Nudge Settings for the Palette sliders to 1/8 inch.]
5.Â Â Â Â Â I had no idea where my camera was, so I went to the website for the home supply store that we had purchased our tile from and found images online of the two tile colors. I right-clicked the images and chose Save As.
6.Â Â Â Â Â I went to the new EQ7 Image worktable and imported the first image. I cropped it and chose IMAGE > Add to Sketchbook as Fabric. Then I did the same for the second tile image.
7.Â Â Â Â Â Back on the Quilt worktable, I started clicking on the squares in the quilt with my tile colors. I CTRL+clicked the â€śsashingâ€ť a.k.a. grout lines with a solid gray.
8.Â Â Â Â Â With the help of many eyes, we colored the quilt on the screen in a fun pattern.
9.Â Â Â Â Â After the quilt was initially colored, I right-clicked it and unchecked outline patches and outline blocks. That let me see the â€śfieldâ€ť without the black outlines.
10.Â The first version of our floor looked very block-y. There were too many grout lines.
11.Â So,â€¦ Â I started coloring the sashing in the spaces in between two matching colors that same color to signify that instead of having two 3â€ť squares with grout in between, weâ€™d have one large 3â€ť x 6.125â€ť rectangle. This meant I could only join 3 squares in a row (3Ă—3=9, + 1/8 + 1/8 = 9.25), because 4 squares in a row would be larger than my 12â€ł tile size (4Ă—3=12, + 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 = 12.375).
12. So once again with the help of many eyes, we joined the square together in a pleasing (and symmetrical) pattern.
13. I printed off the quilt and did a quick count of how many 3â€ł squares we needed of each color, how many 3Ă—6.125â€ł rectangles, and how many 3Ă—9.25â€ł rectangles we needed.
14. My father-in-law used the quilt printout and my notes as his cutting guide. The final shower floor is amazing.
I canâ€™t wait until the rest of the bathroom is done.